Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ - Experience Abroad

Please consider this as general information as each program category has specific eligibility requirements, dates and fees. We encourage you to message us for further information.

EA’s application process is easy. To begin, we must determine your eligibility to the program. Please fill up the application form (Link).

The processing times vary depending on the circumstances and home country of each applicant. However, EA estimates a period of 3 to 6 months processing time, unless the process is push back due to lack of applicant’s complete requirements, or other factors that are beyond EA’s control. Please review our processing timeline (link).

In general, the Trainee or Intern Program may or may not be paid depending on the Host Company and position. However, EA mostly offers paid internship/training positions.

In general, the Trainee or Intern Program may or may not be paid depending on the Host Company and position. However, EA mostly offers paid internship/training positions.

Yes. If your current program is less than the maximum duration, it may be extended up to the maximum. For hospitality/tourism and culinary internships and trainings, the total duration should not exceed 12 months.

Yes. You are covered by accident and sickness insurance for the duration of your program. This is included in the program fees. The details of your coverage and the contact information of the insurance provider will be provided to you prior to your arrival in the United States.

No. Program regulations require that interns and trainees have sufficient past education or work experience that are related to their field of training.

Yes. To qualify for a new J-1 Intern Visa, you must return to school for at least one more term before applying to another J-1 Intern program in order to demonstrate that you are actively pursuing a degree.

Recent graduate intern and trainees who have previously completed a J-1 Intern or Trainee Visa must wait at least two years before being eligible for another J-1 Trainee Visa.

Yes. Your participation in the J1 Work & Travel program will not disqualify you to the Intern or Trainee Program. However, if you are currently participating in the W&T Program, you must first return to your home country. The Intern/Trainee program cannot be utilized as an extension of the Work & Travel program.
A Green Cardholder is legally allowed to train or work in the United States. Hence, you do not need to apply for a J1 Visitor Exchange Visa. However, EA offers its services for you to secure internship or training position in any of EA’s partner host company.

SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. All Interns/Trainees must be registered in the SEVIS database.

All participants are required to pay the $220 SEVIS fee. This fee will be collected together with the program fees and EA will remit the payment on your behalf to the US Department of State- Department of Homeland Security.
SEVIS Fee is mandated to support the program office and the automated system that keeps track of students and exchange visitors and ensures that they maintain their status while in the United States.

Be sure to check the website of your local US Consulate or Embassy, as the process may vary from country to country. For more information, please visit this link:
Form DS-160 is completed online, and submitted electronically to the Department of State prior to scheduling a visa interview with the US Embassy or Consulate in your home country. This form is completed after you receive the Form DS2019 and SEVIS number from the Sponsor.
Form DS7002 is the training plan that lays down the terms and conditions of your internship or training. It is the contract signed by the applicant with the host company, and duly approved by the Sponsor.

A SEVIS-generated Form DS-2019 is required when applying for the J-1 Visa.  Sponsors designated by the US Department of State, are authorized to issue DS-2019 Form to prospective or current exchange visitors whom they approve to participate in their program.

Be sure to bring complete documentation during your visa appointment. The checklist of documents is provided to you. This link provides helpful tips:

No. While EA helps and assists you in your visa application, EA does not guarantee visa approval. The decision to approve a visa application rests solely in the discretion of the consulate officer.
You may arrive within 30 days before the program start date shown on your DS-2019. Upon completion of your exchange program, you have a grace period of 30 days to depart the United States.
If your visa expires and you do not plan to travel outside of the U.S., you do not need to renew the visa. However, if you plan to travel outside of the United States, you must apply for a new J-1 visa in your home country in order to re-enter the United States to continue your program. Your sponsor must authorize travel outside of the U.S. and ensure that your J-1 non-immigrant documents are valid at all times.

An Exchange Visitor Visa holder is allowed to perform only the activity, in the host company and location indicated in his/her form DS2019 and DS7002. He/she is not allowed to work or perform activities outside what are listed in these forms.

If your sponsor terminates your program for just cause, you will be expected to depart the United States immediately. You will not be entitled to the post-program 30-day grace period because you did not successfully complete your program.
No. You cannot apply for a change of your visa category. It violates the Visitor Exchange program regulations. You must return to your home country within the 30-day grace period after the end of your program.
No. Each visit or stay by a foreign national in the United States is declared for a specific purpose under a specific visa category. Hence, if your stay is under the J Visa category, you cannot justify an extension beyond the maximum allowable period using your tourist visa.
Experience Abroad partners with housing agencies in the United States which will help you secure housing prior to your arrival. Host companies generally provide assistance by linking you to lessors and/or their agents in the area. Also, some host companies provide employee housing on or off location. More specific details on housing will be provided to you in your arrival packet.