Frequently Asked Questions About J1 Program

Frequently Asked Questions About the J-1 Program

December 14, 2022 By Experience Abroad

The J-1 program details may be difficult for some to understand as it covers a lot of information. To help you with that, here is a list of frequently asked questions about the J-1 program that Experience Abroad received throughout the years.


Is there an age restriction?

We prioritize your work experience more than your age when determining whether applicants are eligible to apply. However, we highly recommend that applicants must not be more than 40 years old and have less than 10 years of industry experience.


Can I switch to an F-1 visa from a J-1 visa without going home?

Yes. It is possible to switch to an F-1 visa from a J-1 visa. However, you will still need to return to your home country or exit the United States to not violate your J-1 visa. After doing so, you can re-enter the United States through your F-1 visa.


Is the visa sponsor allowed to terminate a J-1 visa?

There is a possibility that your visa sponsor can terminate your J-1 visa. The main reason for termination could be violations of federal or state laws.

Aside from the visa sponsor, the host company can also terminate your J-1 visa and program.


Can I apply for residency?

The J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa, meaning that you can not use it to apply for residency. 

However, if you would still like to stay in the United States after your program, you can apply for a tourist visa. You just need to exit the United States after your J-1 program and re-enter using your tourist visa.


Frequently Asked Questions for J1 Applicants


Can I be absorbed by the host company?

Yes, J-1 interns and trainees can be hired by the host company after their J-1 program ends. You can increase your chances of being absorbed by proving to them that you have the skills and ability to perform tasks that exceed their expectations.

However, if you do so, just like the scenarios that were previously mentioned, you will still need to exit the United States after your J-1 program ends.

Experience Abroad will also not be involved in your employment process as we are a J-1 agency.


Is the housing free?

Your housing depends on the host company. Some have partnered with housing facilities and some require their trainees to look for housing themselves. 

With regards to looking for your housing, Experience Abroad can assist you in the process.


Is transportation free?

Transportation costs depend on your housing. If you are near your host company, transportation costs will not be a problem for you.

However, if you are far from your host company, you will be required to take transportation. All transportation costs are shouldered by the applicant.

Some modes of transportation in the United States include the bus, subway, Uber, Lyft, and taxis. If you know how to drive and can get a license, then you can also opt to rent a car.


How much allowance will I bring?

Experience Abroad recommends that applicants bring at least 1,000 USD to get through the first two weeks.

Host companies will provide your allowance every two weeks, which is why you’ll need sufficient money to cover your expenses before you receive it.


Can I get a second job while I am in the J-1 program?

No. Your J-1 visa does not allow you to work or be an employee. If you apply for a second job, there is a huge chance that your program will be terminated, and you will have to return to your home country.

However, if your host company offers you a part-time job within the hotel, resort, or restaurant, then you may do so. There is an exception as long as your second job is within the host company.


Can I extend my program?

Program extension depends on the host company and visa sponsor. If they deem that they need you for a longer time, then you can request for program extension.

However, for every extension, there is a required fee. The amount you have to pay depends on the duration of your extension.

In the case that you extend your program, Experience Abroad will assist you in the process.


Are we required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 before going to the United States?

Yes. All applicants are required to have the first two doses of any CDC-approved Covid-19 vaccine. As of now, no booster shots are required.


When can I be eligible for another J-1 program?

If you are interested in re-applying for another J-1 program, you will be required to have a two-year residency in your home country. During this time, you have to have at least one year of relevant work experience.

This list of frequently asked questions about the J-1 program only covers a few out of many questions. If ever you have more, feel free to reach out to us. Experience Abroad will be more than happy to assist you with your concerns.


Got Questions?

Visit our FAQ’s page or email us at